Wednesday, January 12, 2011

01/12/11

Yesterday was a nature day!  In the afternoon, while playing boccie ball, one of my team members pointed out a bald eagle flying around overhead.  I could distinctly see the white feathers on his head.  A few minutes later, Larry called for me to come up to where his group was playing.  When I ran up to where he was he pointed out another bald eagle roosting in a pine tree only about 30 feet above our heads!  It was thrilling to see an eagle that close up.

Later in the day, Larry and I were walking along the creek in the back of the park.  We were planning on going into the storage are behind it to look for any kind of eagles or eagle nest, because other residence had told us that the eagles had nested back there in the past.  Before we got there I spotted a big bird standing just on the other side of the creek.  While we were standing there trying to decide if it was hurt or was something just hanging out of it month, another big bird swooped down the creek right in front of Larry and I.  I was really startled and Larry must have been too because it said that it kind of remind him of Jurassic Park!  About that time a lady out walking her dog, told us that the birds were Great Blue Herons and in fact the ones beak was broken and hanging down.  She told us she was planning to see if she could find a rescue for herons and give them a call. Then we ask her about the eagles nest. She told us there are many bald eagles in the area, but she had never see them nest near the park.  BUT,  she did point out a very large Great Horned Owl's nest!  I bet it is about 4 x 4.  She also told us that last summer she saw owl chicks in the nest!  How cool!

Larry and I walked on and he notice a herd of cows across the fence in a pasture.  He pointed out a new born calf to me.  We watched it for a while and I was a little worried because the calf seem to not be able to find its mother. In a few minutes though we saw the calf find her mother and start nurse!

I was a very good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment